Phoenix, Arizona. Home of the Snowbirds fleeing the Canadian winters. And also happens to be the home of the Phoenix Grand Prix Indy car race.
I have been to Phoenix on more occasions than I can count. In this post, I will share some of my favorite hotels, restaurants and activities.
- Extended Stay (5235 N 16th St). This is my go to Hotel in Phoenix. I have stayed here numerous times as I love the location, and I love the people that stay here. The rooms have recently been redone and offer couches, fridges, stoves etc. All of your real amenities for a longer stay. The super handy location of this hotel really helps too – venture down the street a couple of blocks to the strip mall that features a large CVS and a humongous Wine store plus a few fantastic restaurants. Go a few blocks farther and you are at a great mall with some great shopping.
- Candlewood Suites, (1335 WEST BASELINE ROAD) Tempe. Similar to the Extended Stay hotels, this is another, newer gem located very close to Arizona Mills shopping center. It also has all the amenities such as fridge, and kitchen. It also has a pool and hot tub – and a nice area for catching some rays.
DO NOT STAY HERE:
- Super 8 Phoenix North Bell Road and I-17. Living dangerously one trip, I decided I should try somewhere new. Oh boy. Bad idea. This is to date the single worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I won’t bore you with details, but needless to say I slept with all of my clothes on and chair lodged under the door. I checked out the next morning and moved back to the Extended Stay.
Favorite Places to Eat:
- Joe’s Crab Shack – located right across from Arizona Mills, this is the perfect spot to have some great drinks and a whole big roaster filled with lobster, potatoes and corn on the cob! Great vibe. Awesome service. Reasonable prices. Be sure to try the crab nachos!
- Lone Star Steakhouse – another awesome find. Highly recommend the ribs with the special stuffed baked sweet potato. Oh Yummo!!
Favorite Places to Shop:
- Arizona Mills – Burlington Coat Factory. Just go. And buy an extra suitcase while you are there as you are going to need it.
- Old Town Scottsdale – some really unique little shops in here. Wander the streets and pick up some desert style jackets, some flavored olive oils, and of course some tasty hot sauces. There is a bit of everything in here.